Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Phillip A.M.E. Church



Marker ID: SCHM 40-121
Location: McCords Ferry Rd. (US 601), Eastover, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 50.990    W 080° 39.025
  33.84983333    -80.65041666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church, organized by 1835, met first in a brush arbor 1 ½ mi. N., then constructed a sanctuary on this site shortly thereafter. Its first pastor was Rev. Anderson Burns, and its original trustees were Joseph and Robert Collins, Barnes Flowers, Saylor Pope, Harkness Smith, and Red Stroy. A later sanctuary, built in 1952; burned in 1981; the present sanctuary was dedicated that year.
1999 by the St. Phillip A.M.E. Church Anniversary Committee