Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The State House



Marker ID: SCHM 40-122
Location: on the State House grounds in Columbia
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.035    W 081° 01.981
  34.000583    -81.033017
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Columbia was founded in 1786, replacing Charleston as the state capitol. The first State House here, built in 1789, was a small wooden building just W. of this site. Construction on this State house, designed by John R. Niernsee, began in 1855, exterior wall were almost complete when work was suspended in 1863 during the Civil War. In February 1865 Union troops burned the old State House, shelled this unfinished building, and raised the United States flag over it

(reverse)
Niernsee supervised post war repairs and new work until his death in 1885. His partner J. Crawford Niel~son succeeded him, followed by niernsee´s son Frank. In 1901 the General Assembly hired Frank P. Milburn, but often clashed with him over the workmanship of his design for the present dome, a radical departure from J.R Niernsee´s original design. He was replaced by Charles C. Wilson in 1903. A major renovation by the firm of Stevens and Wilkinson was completed in August 1998.

Erected by the Columbia Committee of the national Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of South Carolina! - 1999