Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Seaboard Air Line Passenger Station



Marker ID: SCHM 40-125
Location: on Lincoln St. at Gervais St (US 1 / 378), Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.000    W 081° 02.312
  34.00    -81.03853333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This depot, built by the Seaboard Air Line Railway in 1904, was the third passenger depot built in Columbia, following the South Carolina Railroad Depot on Gervais St., built about 1850, and the Union Station on Main St., built in 1902. This depot and its adjacent baggage room was an alternative to Union Station, which served passengers on the Atlantic Coast Line and Southern Railway.

(Reverse)
This depot and baggage room were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 as part of the West Gervais Street Historic District. They served passengers on the Seaboard Air Line Railway (later the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad) until 1991. The relocation of the tracks across Gervais Street was an important step in the revitalization of the Congaree Vista in the 1980s and 1990s.

Erected by Columbia Development Corp. - 2003


Notes:

There is a duplicate marker on the other side of the depot.