Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mann-Simons Cottage



Marker ID: SCHM 40-126
Location: on Marion St North of Richland St, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.717    W 081° 02.062
  34.01195    -81.03436666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This cottage, built before 1850, with alterations and additions throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, was the home of Celia Mann (1799-1867) and her husband Ben Delane, among the few free blacks living in Columbia in the two decades before the Civil War. Mann, born a slave in Charleston, earned or bought her freedom in the 1840s and moved to Columbia, where she worked as a midwife.

(Reverse)
Three Baptist churches (First Calvary, Second Calvary, and Zion) trace their origins to services held in the basement of this house. After Mann´s death her daughter Agnes Jackson (d. 1907) lived here; descendants of Agnes Jackson´s second husband Bill Simons owned the house until 1960. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and has been a museum since 1977.

Erected by First Calvary Baptist Church, Second Calvary Baptist Church, and Zion Baptist Church, 2003