Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Kensington



Marker ID: SCHM 40-129
Location: Intersection of McCords Ferry Rd. (U.S. Hwy. 601) & S.C. Hwy. 764 (Old Eastover Rd.), at the entrance to Kensington, Eastover, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 52.139    W 080° 39.503
  33.86898333    -80.65838333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This plantation on the Wateree River features a remarkable Italianate Revival house built in 1852-54. Designed by Charleston architects Edward C. Jones and Francis D. Lee, it was built for Matthew Richard Singleton (1817-1854) and Martha Kinloch Singleton (1818-1892). Jacob Stroyer described life as a slave here in his memoir, first published in 1879.

(reverse)
Kensington was owned by members of the Singleton, Hamer, and Lanham families until the late twentieth century, and though the house fell into disrepair the land was farmed for many years. Kensington was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. It was sold to Union Camp (later International Paper) in 1981, restored in 1983-84, and opened for educational programs.

Erected by the Scarborough-Hamer Foundation, 2005