Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jefferson Hotel



Marker ID:  40-130
Location: on Main St between Laurel and Richland Streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.578    W 081° 02.241
  34.00963333    -81.03735
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The Jefferson Hotel, designed and built by Columbia entrepreneur and contractor John Jefferson Cain (1869-1929), stood here at the corner of Main and Laurel Streets from 1913 until 1968. The hotel (also sometimes called the Hotel Jefferson) was built in 1912-13 at a cost of $250,000. Notable features included Indiana limestone on the 1st and 6th story exteriors and mahogany, marble, and terra cotta tile throughout the lobby, dining room and ballroom.

For 55 years the Jefferson was Columbia´s premier hotel, hosting conventions as well as more informal meetings among legislators. It was demolished in 1968. In 1938, during the 48th reunion of the United Confederate Veterans, former officers and their descendants met here to organize the Order of the Stars and Bars. Now the Military Order of the Stars and Bars, this genealogical society is for descendants of Confederate officers and civil officials.

2005 by Military Order of the Stars and Bars.