Historic Markers Across South Carolina



State Dispensary Warehouse



Marker ID:  40-131
Location: on Pulaski St between Lady and Gervasis Streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.937    W 081° 02.615
  33.99895    -81.04358333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This building, built in 1863-64 and burned by Federal troops in 1865, was rebuilt as a two-story building in 1872. A cotton batting factory and warehouse, it burned again in 1897, leaving only the outer walls. In 1898 the SC state Dispensary created by Gov Benjamin R Tillman to ensure state control over the production and sale of alcohol, rebuilt it to serve as the State Dispensary Warehouse.

Though the State Dispensary system generated impressive revenue, it also allowed corruption and violence to flourish, and was finally abolished in 1907. Vacant from 1907 until the 1920s, this building served as a warehouse for a succession of businesses for the next fifty years. It was vacant again from the late 1970s until 2004, when it was rehabilitated for a neighborhood grocery store.

Erected by Holmes Smith Developments, 2005