Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Randolph Cemetery



Marker ID:  40-133
Location: in the Randolph Cemetery on Elmwood Ave (US 78), Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.551    W 081° 03.192
  34.00918333    -81.0532
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Randolph Cemetery, founded in 1871, was one of the first black cemeteries in Columbia. It was named for Benjamin Franklin Randolph (1837-1868), a black state senator assassinated in 1868 near Hodges, in Abbeville County. Randolph a native of Kentucky and a free black before the Civil War, had been a chaplain in the Union Army, a agent of the Freeman´s Bureau, and a newspaper publisher before he was elected to represent Orangeburg County in the SC Senate in 1868.

Eight other black lawmakers from the Reconstruction era are buried here: Henry Cardozo (1830-1886), William Fabriel Myers (1850-1917), William Beverly Nash (1822-1888), Robert John Palmer (1849-1928), William M Simons (1810-1878), Samuel Benjamin Thompson (18377-1909), Charles McDuffie Wilder (1855-1902), and Lucious W Wimbush (1839-1872). Randolph Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Erected by the Downtown Columbia Cemetery Taskforce and the Committee for the Restoration and Beautification of Randolph Cemetery, 2006