Historic Markers Across South Carolina



George P. Hoffman house



Marker ID: SCHM 40-135
Location: off S.C. Sec. Rd. 40-54, Blythewood, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 12.899    W 080° 58.31
  34.21498333    -80.97183333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This house was built ca. 1855 for George P. Hoffman (1829-1902), a native of N.C. Hoffman ran a nearby sawmill and became the first postmaster of Doko (as Blythewood was first known) in 1856. This area was part of Fairfield County until 1913, when it was annexed into Richland County. Capt. John L. Kennedy owned the house during the Civil War; his widow Judith owned it afterwards.

(reverse)
This house was one of several ransacked by Gen. W.T. Sherman´s Federals as they advanced through this area in February 1865. Hoffman, a section master on the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad, owned the house again by 1875. It later housed an antique shop and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. It became the Blythewood Town Hall in 2000.

Erected by Blythewood Middle School, 2007