Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Killian School



Marker ID: SCHM 40-136
Location: Killian Elementary School, 2621 Clemson Rd., Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This one-room primary school, built about 1925, stood about 1 mi. E, at the intersection of Killian and Longtown Roads, until 2001. There was a school at Killian (also called Killian´s) as early as 1905. From 1913 to 1948 Killian School had two teachers and an enrollment of 30 to 80 students in grades 1-7, with an average attendance of 30 to 40 and an eight- to nine-month school year.

(reverse)
Killian School closed in 1948, and its students and one teacher went to Blythewood Grammar School. In 1954 Richland County sold the school to the citizens of Killian for $100.00 as a community center. The Killian School was deeded to Richland County School District Two in 2000 and moved here in 2001 to be renovated as a museum of 20th century rural education and a conference center.

Erected by the Richland County Conservation Commission, 2007