Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Sandfield Baptist Church / Sandfield Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 40-137
Location: Russ Brown Rd., near the intersection of N. Melton Rd. & Sandfield Rd., Blythewood, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 13.261    W 080° 56.339
  34.22101666    -80.93898333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

SANDFIELD BAPTIST CHURCH


Twenty-Five Mile Creek Church, a Primitive Baptist congregation, was organized in this area before 1772. It was renamed Sandfield Church by ca. 1830 and the mother church for Cedar Creek, Harmony, Jackson Creek, and Sawney´s Creek. After some members left in 1840 to organize a new church this congregation became Sandy Level Baptist Church in 1843.

SANDFIELD CEMETERY

In 1856 Sandy Level Baptist Church built a new church 3 mi. W on Blythewood Rd. The congregation gave this site and the old church to the community provided any organization using it would be Baptist. A second Sandfield Baptist Church, organized here ca. 1870, was disbanded ca. 1938. The cemetery here dates to the second church and is now maintained by Sandy Level Baptist Church.

Erected by Sandy Level Baptist Church, 2007