Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Sandy Level Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 40-138
Location: 408 Blythewood Rd., Blythewood, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 12.85    W 080° 59.381
  34.21416666    -80.98968333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Twenty-Five Mile Creek Church, a Primitive Baptist congregation, was organized in this area before 1772. The mother church for several area Baptist churches, it was renamed Sandfield ca. 1830 and stood about 3 mi. E. Sandfield Baptist Church was renamed Sandy Level Baptist Church in 1843 and the congregation moved to this site in 1856.

(reverse)
This frame sanctuary, built in 1856 during the pastorate of Rev. A.K. Durham, was described at its dedication as being the result of “the liberal contributions and unfaltering zeal of this community.” Notable features include its large inset portico and interior gallery. The rear addition was built in 1950 to house the Sunday School and baptistry.

Erected by Sandy Level Baptist Church, 2007