Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Israelite Sunday School / Columbia's First Synagogue



Marker ID: SCHM 40-151
Location: on Assembly St between Washington and Hampton Streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.255    W 081° 02.188
  34.00425    -81.03646666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Israelite Sunday School

The Israelite Sunday School, the first Jewish religious school in Columbia and the seventh in the United States, met in a building on this site until 1865. Founded in 1843 to give the city´s Jewish children "an intimate... and full exposition of our faith," it was supported by the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society. Its 20-30 students first met nearby in space donated by a member of the society.

Columbia´s First Synagogue

In 1846 the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society built a frame building on this site for the Israelite Sunday School which met on the first floor. The society also organized the first formal congregation in Columbia, which was named Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), with its synagogue on the second floor. The building was burned when General William T. Sherman´s Federalists captured the city in 1865.

2008 by The Beth Shalom Synagogue, The Tree of Life Temple and the Jewish Historical Society of S.C.