Historic Markers Across South Carolina



North Carolina Mutual Building



Marker ID: SCHM 40-153
Location: 1001-1003 Washington St., corner of Washington & Park Sts., Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
The North Carolina Mutual Building was built in 1909 by the N.C. Mutual and Provident Association, a black-owned life insurance company with an office here until the mid-1930s. Built as a two-story commercial building, with a third story added after 1927, it was part of the Washington Street business district, an important part of Columbia´s African-American community for most of the 20th century.

(Reverse)
This building had stores on the first floor and offices on the upper floors. First-floor tenants included barbers and beauticians, tailors and dressmakers, and restaurants. Second and third floor tenants included insurance agents, doctors, and lawyers. The Palmetto Grand Lodge owned the building from 1927 to the early 1940s. The N.C. Mutual Building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Erected by the Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation, 2011