Historic Markers Across South Carolina



South Carolina Memorial Garden



Marker ID:  40-165
Location: Calhoun St at Lincoln St, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.625    W 081° 02.606
  34.01041666    -81.04343333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This garden was established in 1944 by the Garden Club of South Carolina. It was the first memorial garden in the U.S. created by a state garden club in honor and in memory of those who served in World War II. Sarah P. Boylston donated part of her own garden for it, and noted landscape architect Loutrel W. Briggs (1893-1977) donated his landscape design. It opened in 1946 and was dedicated at its completion in 1957.
This garden was described in a 1946 award citation from the National Council of State Garden Clubs as “expressed in terms of beauty, a place apart.” It has long hosted events on Memorial Day and other occasions. The Garden Club of South Carolina, founded in 1930, was incorporated in 1945. It and its member clubs and leaders promote education, beautification, and environmental awareness.
2010 by The Garden Club of South Carolina, Inc.