Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Minervaville



Marker ID: SCHM 40-167
Location: Cabin Creek Rd. & Minervaville Rd., Minervaville, SC -- (Hopkins vicinity)
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 53.992    W 080° 50.01
  33.89986666    -80.8335
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Minervaville, between Cabin Branch and Cedar Creek, was an early 19th-century community. Named after the Minerva Academy, founded in 1802 with William J. Bingham as its headmaster, Minervaville appears on Robert Mills´s Atlas of S.C. (1825). It was later a station on the S.C. Railroad, with a post office 1831-1835. The area declined after the Minerva Academy closed in 1834.

Erected by South East Rural Community Outreach, 2010