Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Robert Weston Mance House



Marker ID: SCHM 40-171
Location: corner of Pine & Hampton Sts., Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
The Robert Weston Mance House, built in 1903, stood here at the corner of Pine and Hampton Streets until 2008. A two-story American Foursquare frame house, it was later clad in brick veneer. It was built for grocers Thomas J. and Ida Roberts, whose store was next door. Rev. Robert W. Mance (1876-1930) acquired the house in 1922. After his death Dr. Robert W. Mance, Jr. (1903-1968) lived here until 1957.

(reverse)
Rev. Robert W. Mance, an African Methodist Episcopal minister, lived here while he was president of Allen University 1916-1924. Dr. Robert W. Mance, Jr. was a physician, superintendent of Waverly Hospital, and civil rights activist. Three Allen University presidents lived here from the 1950s to the 1980s. A new dormitory project here resulted in the relocation of the house two blocks E to Heidt Street in 2008.

Erected by the Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation, 2011