Historic Markers Across South Carolina



S.C. Confederate Soldiers’ Home



Marker ID: SCHM 40-187
Location: 1417 Confederate Avenue, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 1.24    W 081° 2.241
  34.02066666    -81.03735
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

S.C. Confederate Soldiers’ Home


The Confederate Infirmary opened here in 1909. S.C. was the last southern state to create a residence for indigent Civil War veterans. Legislation authorized space for two veterans from each county. The United Daughters of the Confederacy played a key role at the facility, which was renamed the Soldiers’ Home in 1915. The UDC prompted investigations that led to renovation of the Greek Revival building and nearby hospital in 1921. Women’s influence at the Soldiers’ Home continued and in 1921 the state authorized the UDC to name four women to the Home’s nine-person commission. In 1925 the state opened the Home to veterans’ widows, and later extended eligibility to sisters, daughters, and nieces. The last veteran living in the Home died in 1944 and it closed in 1957. The state demolished the building in 1963.

2014 by Richland County Conservation Commission and
SC Civil War Sesquicentennial Advisory Board.