Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Beth Shalom Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 40-191
Location: 300 Block of Whaley Street, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.316    W 081° 1.463
  33.9886    -81.02438333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Beth Shalom Cemetery


In 1883 members of Columbia’s Jewish community founded the Hebrew Cemetery Society of Columbia as an alternative to the Hebrew Benevolent Society’s cemetery, which had been established in 1822. The organization purchased a 4-acre tract bounded by Indigo (Whaley), Lower (Heyward), Marion, and Sumter streets as a free cemetery for Hebrew burials. In 1896 the Society sold 3 acres to W.B. Smith Whaley for textile mill development. By 1911 the Society deeded cemetery oversight to the Beth Shalom (House of Peace) synagogue. Early burials included Orthodox Jews from Columbia and elsewhere. This site later became identified as a place specifically for synagogue members. As the Univ. of S.C. expanded in the 1960s it grew around the cemetery. Jewish migration into Forest Acres and fewer available plots here led to the creation of Arcadia Lakes Cemetery in 1995.

2016 by Historic Columbia, Columbia Jewish Heritage Initiative, and Jewish Historical Society of SC.