Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Shandon Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 40-194
Location: 607 Woodrow Street, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.843    W 081° 0.345
  33.99738333    -81.00575
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Shandon Presbyterian Church


Shandon Presbyterian Church began as Shandon Mission, which first met in Oct. 1913. By 1915, the Church had acquired title to a lot at the S.E. corner of Wheat and Maple Sts. and was incorporated the next year. The first sanctuary was completed in Nov. 1916. The Rev. William Sumner Harden was the first minister. By the late 1920s the church had outgrown this building and construction began on a second sanctuary. Columbia firm Lafaye and Lafaye designed the second sanctuary, located at the present site on Woodrow St. It was completed in April 1929. The church building expanded in the 1950s, 1960s and 1990s, evidence of the growth of the congregation. In the 1950s, led by Rev. Dr. Fred V. Poag, the church actively supported racial desegregation. The congregation is still recognized for its local and global outreach.


2016 by Shandon Presbyterian Church, PCUSA.