Historic Markers Across South Carolina



New Light Beulah Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 40-197
Location: 1330 Congaree Road, Hopkins, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 56.087    W 080° 49.57
  33.93478333    -80.82616666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

New Light Beulah Baptist Church



New Light Beulah Baptist Church was organized in 1867 when 565 African American members withdrew from Beulah Baptist Church. Before the Civil War enslaved people composed the majority of the Beulah congregation. After emancipation they left to form an independent congregation, with Rev. William W. Williams the first pastor. New Light Beulah shared the sanctuary with the white members, but in 1871 they were forcibly expelled and moved to a brush arbor until a new church was built. The congregation persisted and the year 1876 saw a record number of conversions. New Light Beulah has been mother church to many other congregations in its first 150 years.

Erected in 2017 by the New Light Beulah Baptist Church.