Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Dentsville School



Marker ID: SCHM 40-198
Location: 2721 Decker Blvd, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 3.727    W 080° 57.223
  34.06211666    -80.95371666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Dentsville School




(side 1)

Dentsville Consolidated School opened at this site in 1926. The brick building was the first school in the newly created Richland Two school district and served students who had previously attended numerous, smaller schools in the area. The school was named for the Dent family, who donated the land for the school and also lent their name to the surrounding Dentsville community.


(side 2)
The 1926 schoolhouse served as Dentsville School, 1926-57; Dentsville H.S., 1957-70; Dent Jr. H.S., 1970-78; and Dent Middle School, 1978-2007. Dentsville School remained racially segregated and for whites only until 1964 when the first two African American students were admitted. The original building was replaced by the current Dent Middle School in 2007.

Erected in 2017 by the Richland County Conservation Commission
and Dentsville High School Class of 1965.