Historic Markers Across South Carolina



McCord House



Marker ID: SCHM 40-206
Location: 1431 Pendleton Street, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.998    W 081° 1.67
  33.99996666    -81.02783333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

McCord House


(side 1)

This Greek Revival house was built in 1849 for David and Louisa McCord by slaves from her plantation, Lang Syne, in Fort Motte, S.C. David McCord (1797-1855) was a lawyer, editor, planter, banker, and legislator. Louisa McCord (1810-79) was a noted author of essays, poetry, and drama. Among the enslaved carpenters who built the home were John Spann and Anderson Keitt. The house was later owned by the Oxner-Adams family, who were also connected to Lang Syne plantation.

(side 2)
During the Civil War the house was a central depot for food intended for patients at the Confederate hospital located on the South Carolina College campus. In 1865, Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, who later headed the Freedmen’s Bureau and was namesake of Howard University, used the house as his headquarters when the U.S. Army captured the city. Though a large part of the city was burned on the night of Feb. 17-18, 1865, the McCord House survived.

2018 by Richland County Conservation Commission
and the United Family Reunion.