Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Congaree River Bridges



Marker ID: SCHM 40-38
Location: Columbia side of Gervais Street Bridge, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.802    W 081° 2.9167
  33.9967    -81.04861166
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This river took its name from the Congaree Indians, a Siouan tribe, who occupied the valley until the Yemassee War in 1715. The first wooden bridge here was completed in 1827. It was burned to delay the advance of Sherman´s Army in 1865 and rebuilt in 1870. A concrete bridge was completed in 1927.