Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Original Site of Columbia College



Marker ID: SCHM 40-52
Location: Hampton Street, between Pickens and Henderson Streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.445    W 081° 1.701
  34.00741666    -81.02835
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This land was purchased in 1854 by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church as the site of Columbia Female College, chartered by S. C. General Assembly Dec. 21, 1854. Classes were held from 1859 to 1865. The college survived the burning of Columbia and was reopened in 1873. In 1905, the school was moved to its present site as the Columbia College.

Erected by Columbia College Alumnae Association - 1969