Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Court House Square



Marker ID: DAR 40-53
Location: Corner of Main and Washington Streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.241    W 081° 02.080
  34.00401666    -81.03466666
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Richland County´s second court house was built in 1803-04 on the northeast comer of Richardson (Main) and Washington streets. In the 1850s, it was razed and a new court house erected on the same site. On the southeast comer was located the Athenaeum, incorporated in 1856, which contained a lecture and exhibit hall and a library. The Athenaeum and the new court house were both burned by Union troops in 1865.

Erected by Columbia Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution - 1970