Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Richardson Street



Marker ID: SCHM 40-59
Location: State House grounds, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.075    W 081° 2.005
  34.001249    -81.033414
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Columbia´s chief business street, Main, was first named Richardson Street, for Richard Richardson (1704 - 1780). This Virginia native settled in present Clarendon County; served in the "Snow Campaign" of 1775; was commissioned Brigadier General in 1778; was a member of the Commons House of Assembly, the First and Second Provincial Congresses, and the First General Assembly. Six S. C. governors are among his descendants.

Erected by Columbia Committee, National Society, Colonial Dames of America in the State of S. C, a Richland County Bicentennial Project


Notes:

Two sided - North - South Streets