Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Calhoun Street



Marker ID: SCHM 40-72
Location: Corner of Main and Calhoun streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Named Lumber Street by 1793, this street was renamed Calhoun shortly after 1911 for S. C. statesman John C. Calhoun (1782 - 1850). Calhoun was admitted to the S. C. bar in 1807, was United States secretary of war 1812 - 25, vice president 1825 - 1832, and secretary of state 1844 - 45; he also served many years in Congress. Calhoun is buried in St. Philip´s churchyard in Charleston.

Erected by Richland County Bicentennial Commission. Sponsored by Columbia Office Supply - 1978