Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Richland Street



Marker ID: SCHM 40-74
Location: Corner of Richland and Main Sts., Columbia
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.628    W 081° 02.245
  34.01046666    -81.03741666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

One of the original streets in the 1786 Columbia plan, Richland Street was probably named after Richland County, which had been so designated by an act of the General Assembly in 1785. By November 1786, two town commissioners, Alexander Gillon and Thomas Taylor, owned lots on this street. The Governor´s Mansion is located on Richland Street.

Erected by Richland County Bicentennial Commission. Sponsored by Capital Electric Supply - 1978