Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hampton Street



Marker ID: SCHM 40-75
Location: Corner of Hampton and Main streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Part of the 1786 plan of Columbia, this street was first named Plain. It is thought to have been named after the plain of Taylor´s Hill, on part of which the city of Columbia was built. Plain Street was renamed ca. 1907 for Wade Hampton, III (1818 - 1902), Confederate general, South Carolina governor (1876 - 1879), and United States senator (1879 - 1891). Hampton is buried in the churchyard of Trinity Cathedral in Columbia.

Erected by Richland County Bicentennial Commission. Sponsored by Belk of Columbia - 1978