Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Gregg Street



Marker ID: SCHM 40-80
Location: Corner of Gregg and Gervais streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.265    W 081° 1.347
  34.00441666    -81.02245
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Richard Winn, for whom this street was first named, was born in Virginia in 1750 and came to South Carolina as a young man. He fought throughout the Revolution (including the battles of Hanging Rock, Fish Dam Ford, Blackstock´s) and became brigadier general in 1783. One of Columbia´s original commissioners, he later was lieutenant governor and also served in the General Assembly and Congress. He died in Tennessee in 1818.

(Reverse)
Maxcy Gregg, native Columbian for whom this street was named ca.1893, was a leader in the States Rights party, a delegate to the Secession Convention, and a distinguished Confederate general. A colonel in the First Regiment of S. C. Volunteers, Gregg was appointed brigadier general, CSA, in 1861. He died in 1862 from wounds received at the battle of Fredericksburg and is buried in the churchyard of First Presbyterian Church in Columbia.

Erected by Richland County Bicentennial Commission - 1978