Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Taylor Street



Marker ID: SCHM 40-81
Location: Taylor and Main streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 00.391    W 081° 02.145
  34.00651666    -81.03575
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
Named for the Taylor family, this street is one of the original streets in the 1786 Columbia plan. Thomas Taylor was a member of the first and second Provincial Congresses and the General Assembly and was a trustee of S. C. College. In 1791 he escorted President Washington into Columbia. Taylor died in 1833. His son, John, was a planter, lawyer, governor (1826 - 28), first intendant of Columbia, and a member of Congress (1807 - 16). He died in 1832.

(Reverse)
This street is named for the Taylor family, whose plantations were selected in 1786 as part of the site of the city of Columbia. Thomas Taylor, appointed by the state as one of the commissioners to plan the new town, served in the Revolution as captain and colonel in the militia under brigadier generals Sumter and Henderson. Captured at Fishing Creek, Taylor escaped, and took part in the defeat of Tarleton at Blackstock´s.

Erected by Richland County Bicentennial Commission. Sponsored by IBM