Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Church of the Good Shepherd



Marker ID: SCHM 40-88
Location: 1512 Blanding Street, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.576    W 081° 1.865
  34.0096    -81.03108333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Beginning in 1883 with services held in nearby private homes by Trinity Church, this Episcopal church then constructed a building on Barnwell Street, was organized into a mission, and became a separate ´. parish in 1886. Rt. Rev. Albert S. Thomas, 9th Bishop of S. C., was lay reader of Good Shepherd, 1893 - 1900. The church moved to this site after the present building was completed in 1901.

Erected by the Women of the Church - 1980