Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Assembly Street



Marker ID: SCHM 40-90
Location: Comer of Assembly and Gervais streets, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 34° 0.05    W 081° 2.099
  34.000833    -81.034983
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1786, when Columbia was established as the state capital, the General Assembly decided that two principal thoroughfares should run perpendicular to each other through the center of the town. One of these, Assembly Street, was named for the General Assembly, which first met in Columbia in 1790 in South Carolina´s new State House, a building designed by James Hoban, who later designed the White House.

Erected by Richland County Bicentennial Commission. Sponsored by Cromer´s P - Nuts - 1977