Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Gibbes Green



Marker ID: SCHM 40-92
Location: USC campus near west side of Pickens Street pedestrian bridge (between Pendleton and Greene Streets)
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.915    W 081° 1.596
  33.99858333    -81.0266
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Named for Maj. Wade Hampton Gibbes (1837 - 1903), prominent Columbian who owned much of the land to the east, Gibbes Green consisted of an area of land bounded by Pendleton, Bull, Pickens, and Greene streets. Acquired by S. C. College in 1838, the land was kept for many years as open space, serving as a playground, ball field, and park for several generations of Columbians. Davis College, which opened in 1910, was the first building in Gibbes Green.

Erected by Historic Columbia Foundation - 1980