Historic Markers Across South Carolina



1896 Power Plant



Marker ID:  
Location: At River's edge opposite Gist St. Marker, Columbia, SC
County: Richland
Coordinates: N 33° 59.821    W 081° 2.94
  33.997019    -81.048994
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

To meet growing demands for electricity, the Columbia Water and Power Company constructed this power plant, the Columbia Hydro Plant, in 1896. It replaced the 1894 power facility upstream. This Hydro Plant provided power for city lights, trolleys and manufacturing plants. Still operating with its original turbines, it is owned by the City of Columbia, and operated by SCG&E. The brick powerhouse contains seven turbine-generators with a total of 10,600 kilowatts, and produces about 48 million kilowatts per year.

Erected by SC State Museum.