Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Spann Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 41-9
Location: at Spann Methodist Church on W. Front St. (rout 23) in Ward, SC.
County: Saluda
Coordinates: N 33° 51.433    W 081° 43.683
  33.857217    -81.72805
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church was founded ca. 1805 at the plantation of John Spann, Jr., about 1 mil. N. Bishop Francis Asbury preached there in 1807 and 1811. The first church on this site was built and the cemetery was established ca. 1840. The present Greek Revival sanctuary, built in 1873, is almost unchanged. The church and cemetery were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

Erected by The Ridge Heritage Association - 2005


Notes:

Two sided - Captain Clinton Ward