Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hare's Mill



Marker ID: SCHM 41-10
Location: on Spann Rd in between US 378 and route 391 at Clouds Creek.
County: Saluda
Coordinates: N 34° 02.388    W 081° 34.069
  34.0398    -81.56781666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Hare´s Mill, which stood here on Cloud´s Creek was a large grist mill owned by James Hare (1838-1929). Hare bought the mill from the Rhinehart family in 1885 and moved it here. The two-story mill ground both corn and wheat, using water power to grind corn and steam power to grind wheat. It was also an important gathering place for this community for many years

(continued on other side)

James and Elizabeth Black Hare had nine sons: John Allen, Samuel Jacob, Noah Ephram, Butler Black, Joseph William, Henry Benjamin, Jemmie Lee, George Tillman, and Sidney Bowles. They helped their father run Hare´s Mill until it closed in 1928, when S.C. Electric & Gas Compnay bought land on Cloud´s Creek before building Lake Murray. The Mill was demolished soon afterwards.
Erected by the Saluda County Historical Society, 2006