Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jones Cemetery / General James Jones



Marker ID: SCHM 41-11
Location: S.C. Hwy. 23, just W of the Ridge Spring town limits
County: Saluda
Coordinates: N 33° 50.978    W 081° 40.674
  33.84963333    -81.6779
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Jones Cemetery


This is the family cemetery of Mathias Jones (1779-1829), planter, merchant, and state representative 1814-17. Jones moved from Virginia to Ridge Spring, in what was then Edgefield District, about 1800. He, his wife Clara Perry Jones (1786-1841), and 4 of their 12 children are buried here. The 1887 will of daughter Elizabeth Watson set up an endowment for perpetual maintenance.

General James Jones


Gen. James Jones (1805-1865), the son of Mathias & Clara Jones, is buried here. A partner in textile mills at Graniteville and Vaucluse, he was chairman of commissioners to build the State House 1855-61. Jones also served as adjutant & inspector general 1836-41, chairman of the board of visitors of the Citadel and the Arsenal Academy 1842-65, and state quartermaster general 1863-65.

Erected by the Ridge Heritage Association, 2006