Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Cane Brake



Marker ID: SCHM 
Location: At the intersection of Travis Ave and Barr Woods Rd, Saluda, SC
County: Saluda
Coordinates: N 34° 00.722    W 081° 45.147
  34.01203333    -81.75245
 



Text:

1050-acre plantation belonging to Thomas Green Clemson, 1842-1851. Clemson Charge d’Affairs to Belgium, 1844-1851, and founder of Clemson University, lived at Cane Brake from January to July 1844. In his absence Col. Francis Pickins and Sen. John C. Calhoun often visited Cane Brake and attended to its business.

Erected Aug . 18, 1990

Sponsored by

Saluda County Historical Society