Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Delmar School



Marker ID:  
Location: In front of the school, S.C. Highway 391, Delmar community
County: Saluda
Coordinates: N 34° 01.216    W 081° 31.457
  34.02026666    -81.52428333
 



Text:

Delmar School was established in 1896 on property obtained from Elijah Wilson & Lila Fulmer Shealy. This property was previously owned by his parents, Mary Ann Corley & Simeon Richard Shealy. A confederate soldier who died during the war, Richard had purchased land from his father, Mathias Shealy, who married first Polly Fulmer and second Barbara Risinger. Mathias is buried in the family plot located 3 miles southwest of this site. The Mt. Hebron Lutheran Church cemetery located 1 mile south was also part of this track. The cemetery was begun in 1901 when Elijah & Lula Shealy buried their child, Wayman in a cornfield adjacent to the church. Numerous students of Delmar School and many members of Mt. Hebron Lutheran church are descendants of Mathias Shealy.

In memory of Elijah and Lula Shealy and their children Leffie, Mattie, Rosalie, Kline, Wyman, Jessie, Leroy, J.R., and Willette