Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Erosion Control Work in Southeast



Marker ID: SCHM 42-6
Location: Intersection of Road 121 and SC 417, Poplar Springs
County: Spartanburg
Coordinates: N 34° 51.972    W 082° 03.123
  34.8662    -82.05205
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On Dec. 18, 1933 work began on the J. L. Berry Gully, one and one - half miles S.E., as part of the South Tyger River Erosion Control Demonstration Project by the USDI Soil Erosion Service, Dr. T. S. Buie, project director. This project was a forerunner of the USDA Soil Conservation Service and the Soil and Water Conservation Districts.

Erected by the South Carolina Association of Conservation Districts - 1974