Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old City Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 42-16
Location: Cemetery St., just N. of Duncan St., Spartanburg, SC
County: Spartanburg
Coordinates: N 34° 56.32    W 081° 55.112
  34.93866666    -81.91853333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This cemetery, established on this site about 1900 as the Spartanburg Colored Cemetery, includes many graves moved here from the first black cemetery in the city, established in 1849 1 mi. W. and closed by the expansion of the Charleston & Western Carolina RR. Also known as the New Colored Cemetery until 1928 and later known as Freeman´s Cemetery, it has been known as the Old City Cemetery since 1959.

(reverse)
Prominent persons buried here include educator Mary Honor Farrow Wright (1862 1946), for whom Mary Wright School was named; midwife Phyllis Goins (1860 1945) and policeman Tobe Hartwell (d. 1932), for whom city housing developments were named; city councilman Thomas Bomar (1864 1904), and educator Annie Wright McWhirter (1885 1976), first woman to teach at the South Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind.

Erected by the Spartanburg Community Memorial Committee and the African American Heritage Committee, 1997