Historic Markers Across South Carolina



New Hope Baptist Church



Marker ID:  42-21
Location: near the intersection of Highway 56 and Burnt Factory Road.
County: Spartanburg
Coordinates: N 34° 38.639    W 081° 51.508
  34.64398333    -81.85846666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This church, established in 1804, grew out of Padgett´s Creek Baptist Church, mother church to several area Baptist congregations. Rev. Spencer Bobo (d.1816), a member there, was given permission to take "as many members as he thinks fit" and organize a new church. Bobo chose a site W of present-day Cross Anchor, near his home, deeding 7 acres for a sanctuary and cemetery.

The first church was a log building known as "Bobo´s Meeting House." Bobo and Rev. Nathan Langston (1762-1834) preached there until Bobo´s death in 1816 and Langston preached there until 1832. The congregation, renamed New Hope Baptist Church in 1809, built a frame church by 1834. New Hope moved here and built this frame sanctuary in 1924-26. It was covered in brick veneer in 1961.

Erected by the Congregation