Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Central Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 42-24
Location: on the east side of North Church Street, between Walnut and Archer Streets.
County: Spartanburg
Coordinates: N 34° 57.147    W 081° 55.989
  34.95245    -81.93315
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Organized in 1837 as the first congregation of any denomination in Spartanburg, when this site was deeded to nine trustees. Services began in early 1838. Original frame meeting house with belfry was replaced in 1854 by a larger brick church. The present Gothic Revival sanctuary, built in 1886 and described as “an ornament to our town,” was enlarged in 1897 & 1910.