Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Green Swamp Methodist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 43-2
Location: W Liberty Street Extension beyond Swan Lake, Sumter
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 55.263    W 080° 22.382
  33.92105    -80.37303333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Site of First Methodist Church in vicinity of Sumter. Influenced by Bishop Francis Asbury, Richard Bradford gave land and with others built a wooden chapel in 1787, first called Bradford´s Meeting House. Here Santee circuit riders preached until 1827 when church was closed and services held in growing village of Sumter for convenience of the members.

Erected by Sumter County Historical Commission - 1950