Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Salem (Black River) Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 43-4
Location: SC 527, abuut four miles from Mayesville
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 55.958    W 080° 9.629
  33.93263333    -80.16048333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This house of worship, commonly called Brick Church, was founded by Scotch - Irish settlers in 1759 on land given by Capt. David Anderson. Original log meeting - house was replaced by frame building and named Salem Presbyterian Church (1768). The first brick church was built in 1802 and used until 1846 when the present church was built of brick made on the grounds. (Reverse)
Old session house (1846) in the rear contains large library given by James McBride in 1862. Land for cemetery, dating from 1794, was deeded by Robert Witherspoon in 1830. Among the notable ministers to serve this church was Dr. Thomas Reese, scholar, teacher, and preacher before the Revolution. In 1867 Negro members withdrew to form Goodwill Presbyterian Church.

Erected by Sumter County Historical Commission - 1950