Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Early Charleston Road



Marker ID: SCHM 43-5
Location: Intersection of us 76/378 & SC 261, NE side, about nine mi. W of Sumter city limits
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 56.753    W 080° 31.471
  33.94588333    -80.52451666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This road largely followed an old Indian path (1691). Widened by Public Act, 1753, and called ´´The Great Charleston Road," it joined that city with Camden and "The Back Country." Over it came Indians, pack animals laden with hides, drovers, rolled hogsheads of produce, wagoners, and stagecoaches. The armies of two wars passed over it. Like other main roads, it has often been called ´´The King´s Highway."

Erected by Sumter County Historical Commission - 1951