Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Church of the Holy Cross, Stateburg (Episcopal) / Holy Cross Churchyard



Marker ID: SCHM 43-12
Location: SC 261, Stateburg
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 57.196    W 080° 31.960
  33.953267    -80.532667
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front) Church of the Holy Cross, Stateburg (Episcopal)
This church is the successor to the nearby Chapel of Ease of 1770. Present building is on the site of the old Claremont Church of 1788, built on land given by General Thomas Sumter. Holy Cross is constructed of pise de terre, which is rammed earth. The cornerstone was laid on September 11, 1850.

(Reverse) Holy Cross Churchyard
In the surrounding churchyard are the graves of many distinguished South Carolinians. Veterans of three wars rest here. The Parish ´. House was built in 1956, designed in general to conform to the architecture of the present church structure.

Erected by Sumter County Historical Commission - 1958