Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Sumter Institute 1867 - 1901



Marker ID: SCHM 43-13
Location: Corner of Washington and Calhoun Sts., Sumte
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 33° 55.515    W 080° 20.647
  33.92525    -80.34411666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
A boarding school for girls located on the northeast corner of Washington and Calhoun Sts.; founded by Laura Fraser Browne and Eliza E. Cooper in 1867; incorporated in 1888; H. Frank Wilson, president, 1892 - 96.

(Reverse)
This school inspired Sumter´s revival from war´s desolation. Beginning as a one - room day school, it became a girls´ boarding academy, ranking high among South Carolina educational institutions, a center of the social, spiritual, and cultural life of the community during Reconstruction days.

Erected by Sumter 1nstitute Alumnae Association